Miss a morning, miss a lot...
This morning I had to go back to Pella for another OB appointment so my mom took the day off and stayed with Rob. I felt like I missed a week when I returned this afternoon to see the progress Rob had made already today. By the time I got back here, he had the feeding tube removed, his hair cut, and the trache doctor was on the way to remove the trache. When the doctor arrived (an hour and a half late, which Rob gladly brought to his attention) he said that he didn't have very good news. He said the team wanted him to cap the trache for at least 12 hours. He said if we capped it now and he still had it capped tomorrow, then they could take it out. Rob was very disappointed to hear that. So I asked the doctor the question that had been bothering me. If he could breathe with the trache in place by breathing around it when it was capped and taking up space in his airway, wouldn't it be easier for him to breathe with it removed completely thus opening up his airway more so he could move more air around it? The doctor said that he understood what I was saying and said that he was going to try something. So he pulled it out and asked Rob to try breathing. Rob felt immediate relief. He said that he felt so much more free. He couldn't stop thanking the doctor. The doctor made sure Rob was comfortable with his normal breathing now and Rob assured him it was incredible. So the doctor said then that was our answer. So he sealed up the incision with a gauze pad and plastic seal and that was that. Rob was so happy after that was done. He couldn't stop talking. He talked so much that he ended up drifting off to sleep because he was so tired. Once he woke up, he ceremoniously threw the trache cap in the trash can.
When his dinner came he got up quickly to get in his chair to eat. He said to "bring me some grub". He ate a lot better tonight. He must really like that lasagna. Even after having it twice yesterday he ordered it for lunch and dinner today too. Guess I better get their recipe.
They are re-evaluating his need to go to rehab once we leave the University. It seems that they are considering the fact that he may not need to go to inpatient rehab and might just be able to go home. He said his doctor told him this morning that he might be able to go home in 2-3 days. I was shocked to hear that but hope that it's true!
He wanted to to be sure to tell everyone thank you for all the support that you have been giving him. All the calls, emails, blog comments, prayers, and thoughts are VERY much appreciated by both of us. His progress over the past few days has just been amazing, or maybe I should say miraculous. I truly believe that God's hand has never left Rob's shoulder this entire time. He's feeling the touch of God's healing hand and is finally close to going home. Thank the LORD!!!
Kelly
.jpg)

3 Comments:
What wonderful news. You know you'll have to keep up the blog when he gets home too. And let us know how you both are doing.(Well maybe all three) Lots of hugs and prayers, Jan Cerveny
Hey Rob, sounds like a super day. Definitly sounds like your almost to your old self thank goodness. I told Kelly that when you were all better she deserved some good old fashion pampering when you are 100% LOL. Keep on climbing the ladder looking forward to hearing you have checked out of the hospital. Talk to you soon
Mike and Darcie
I love this post!!! And I agree, you should keep up the blog when all three of you are home :)
My dad also suggests the scrambled eggs and bacon are another safe bet there if Rob wants to change it up a bit :)
Post a Comment
<< Home