Tube procedure complete...
I was just now able to see Rob for the first time this morning. They did the procedure to insert a tube into the lining of his left lung this morning. This allowed them to drain off the fluid that was there and will continue to drain any fluid that accumulates there. This is in the lining outside of his lung, not in the lung itself. The fluid as been pooling around it and giving him some breathing difficulties. When it was first inserted, they drained the equivalent of 1 1/2 pop cans of fluid out, so about 18 oz of fluid. The tube will remain in place as long as it continues to drain fluid, probably 1-4 days if necessary.
After the procedure, they had to increase his PEEP level to 11 and oxygen to 65%. The PEEP level indicates how much pressure they put on the lungs to help them inflate. Increasing the PEEP level means they are helping the lungs inflate a little more than they were. As he progresses throughout the day, they hope to lower that again. They have already lowered his oxygen to 60% because he is starting to make progress already. They completed the procedure at about 10:30 so in just the last half hour or so, he's already making progress. He's a little sleepy right now from the extra sedation for the procedure but he did nod his head when I asked him if he was more comfortable after I wiped him down with an ice cold wash cloth. He will wake up more as the day progresses so hopefully I'll get to see his eyes again very soon.
Last night when I got back to my parents' house after the last visit, our dog Zeus knew I came in the drive way. He knows the sound of our vehicles. He started whimpering a lot when I got out. I know he misses Rob very much. I told Rob this morning that Zeus is anxiously waiting to see him again and he squeezed my hand. So I know he misses him too.
Soon we will all be home and healthy and this will all be a memory. Until then, keep the prayers coming. He is feeling the power of all of those prayers and I can see it in his progress. THANK YOU!!!
Kelly
.jpg)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home