Monday, July 17, 2006

Another big step...

The decision was made to put the feeding tube into his stomach this time instead of his intestines. So this will be the first test of the pancreas now that it will have something in the stomach to work on. His feedings are still just the fiber shake stuff that doesn't require much digestion but that will be a good thing to start out on for stomach processing.

I had a very good visit with him at 1:00. I even got a few smiles out of him. He didn't remember coming to Iowa City in the ambulance but he did say yes when I asked if he remembered being in the hospital in Oskaloosa. I haven't let him know exactly how long he has been in the hospital and think it's better if he doesn't know right now. I'm sure it will be a shock to him to know how long he's been here and he just doesn't need anymore stress right now.

He was very awake during that visit and I had a chance to get him caught up on what is going on. He seems to be a little discouraged at times so I try to be as positive as I can when I'm in visiting him. I tell him how much progress he's made already but he doesn't know how far he's come since he's been here because he was sedated so long. It's a night and day difference to me but he can't see that quite yet. He seemed very excited when I talked about things like the baby, our dog Zeus, and his parents taking care of our house, yard, and garden. And by the way Bob, he thinks it's good for you to be put to more work. :)

So even though he hasn't had any changes to his vent settings yet today, I'm encouraged by his general progress of being awake and more with it today. Hopefully changes to his vent settings are in the very near future.

Kelly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home