Thursday, July 20, 2006

Huge ventilator progress...

When I left last night, Rob was at a PEEP of 10 and an oxygen level of 40%. This morning when I came back he was at a PEEP of 8. So that was a big jump for him already this morning. They like to have the oxygen level at 40% or maybe even 35% so they probably won't adjust his oxygen level anymore since he's at goal for that. I just spoke with one of his doctors during our 1:00 visit and he said that Rob was doing very well on his breathing. He was just getting ready to move his PEEP down to 7. His goal is to have him at 5 by tomorrow morning. 5 is the level that he needs to be at to start trials off the ventilator. So his progress today is HUGE. Hopefully tomorrow will be a big day for Rob as long as he stays on track today and tonight.

They plan to remove the chest tube tomorrow. He hadn't drained hardly anything yesterday. The did have him back up in the chair position in his bed earlier today and that allowed more to drain more with gravity helping him. So once that is removed, he'll have one less line attached to him. If we can just lose one line every day or two he'll be doing great.

He's handling the feedings into his stomach very well. Once he can do trials off the vent, they will be able to start him on ice chips and eventually drinking a little. I can just about imagine how excited he'll be to have a sip of water again. Even though he hates water. His first drink of diet Sprite will be a day in heaven for him. He's become quite a fan of that since he's been in the hospital. He hasn't had it for over 3 weeks now so he's ready.

So all in all, he's having a GREAT day. I'm so happy to report this news and I hope it continues. Keep the prayers coming...they are doing wonders!

Kelly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home